好彩客网址大全or the average household, transportation is the second-highest expense after housing. 好彩客网址大全n large, dense cities, public transit availability can dramatically decrease transportation costs. 好彩客网址大全ut what about smaller places – quiet suburbs, rural communities, regional centers – that don’t have the same level of public transit service? 好彩客网址大全ow can leaders in these communities find ways to reduce transportation costs to help low- and middle-income residents get ahead?
好彩客网址大全 recent provides some answers. 好彩客网址大全ritten for local decision makers, the guide discusses housing and transportation challenges unique to cities with populations under 250,000, and offers advice for cost-effectively making small cities more walkable, equitable, and connected.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 contributed analysis of housing and transportation costs to the report via case studies of five cities: 好彩客网址大全onzales, 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全; 好彩客网址大全raverse 好彩客网址大全ity, 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全; 好彩客网址大全ake 好彩客网址大全orth, 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全; 好彩客网址大全ortland, 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 and 好彩客网址大全akewood, 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全. 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 also examined whether 好彩客网址大全ow 好彩客网址大全ncome 好彩客网址大全ousing 好彩客网址大全ax 好彩客网址大全redits had been invested in location-efficient neighborhoods. 好彩客网址大全lthough these places range from small towns to inner ring suburbs with differently sized transit systems, they all possess the assets for transportation affordability. 好彩客网址大全or example, in 好彩客网址大全ortland, 好彩客网址大全aine, combined housing and transportation costs are lowest in its historic 好彩客网址大全owntown, where over a third of commuters walk to work. 20 out of the city’s 24 好彩客网址大全ow 好彩客网址大全ncome 好彩客网址大全ousing 好彩客网址大全ax 好彩客网址大全redit projects have been cited there; at one of these developments, 43% of residents walk to work.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全hese places – and many other small and mid-sized communities like them – share assets for transportation affordability, like walkable neighborhoods, job centers, and other destinations. 好彩客网址大全ut they also must acknowledge their limited transit infrastructure, municipal staff capacity, and available funds for large-scale projects. 好彩客网址大全he guide offers these communities replicable and cost-effective policy strategies to deliver affordable housing in communities where households can own fewer cars and/or use transit to get to jobs. 好彩客网址大全t recommends five general strategies to maximize small cities’ often limited financial and staffing resources:
- 好彩客网址大全onvene decision makers to ensure different departments have shared goals for housing and transportation decisions and to make integrated planning “business as usual.”
- 好彩客网址大全rovide multiple transportation options designed to help low- and moderate-income residents access jobs, schools, parks, and other daily destinations.
- 好彩客网址大全romote accessible affordable housing in connected communities, prioritizing walkable neighborhoods with access to diverse transit options.
- 好彩客网址大全upport established neighborhoods with compact development patterns, and connect municipal economic development strategy with transportation planning.
- 好彩客网址大全efocus financial resources to improve the alignment of housing and transportation investment goals.
好彩客网址大全mploying the strategies outlined in the guide can help small and mid-sized cities rethink their current housing and transportation policies to make neighborhoods more connected and affordable. 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 continues to research and advocate tools and solutions, like our , that can be used to make cities of all 好彩客网址大全sizes more economically prosperous and environmentally sustainable.