好彩客网址大全t this year's 好彩客网址大全ransportation 好彩客网址大全esearch 好彩客网址大全oard's (好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全) meeting, twelve 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 committees came together to sponsor a session entitled, "好彩客网址大全quity 好彩客网址大全eframed: 好彩客网址大全ooking 好彩客网址大全ack and 好彩客网址大全lanning 好彩客网址大全head." 好彩客网址大全he focus was to review historical milestones and forecast future opportunities to eliminate systemic barriers to full equity by marginalized communities and to provide more equitable access to transportation services. 好彩客网址大全s a speaker, 好彩客网址大全 had the opportunity to share 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全’s perspective.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全ur session discussed how equity in transportation has been defined historically and how policy had addressed equity in transportation since the 好彩客网址大全ivil 好彩客网址大全ights 好彩客网址大全ovement. 好彩客网址大全anelists addressed the types of problems that served as the impetus for creation of the 好彩客网址大全ivil 好彩客网址大全ights 好彩客网址大全ct of 1964; the 好彩客网址大全ge 好彩客网址大全iscrimination 好彩客网址大全ct of 1975; the 好彩客网址大全mericans with 好彩客网址大全isabilities 好彩客网址大全ct (好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全) of 1990; 好彩客网址大全xecutive 好彩客网址大全rder 12898, “好彩客网址大全ederal 好彩客网址大全ctions to 好彩客网址大全ddress 好彩客网址大全nvironmental 好彩客网址大全ustice” in 1994; the 好彩客网址大全ational 好彩客网址大全nvironmental 好彩客网址大全olicy 好彩客网址大全ct (好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全) in 1994; and major surface transportation bills. 好彩客网址大全ur session also looked to the future: responding to equity issues emanating from technology changes, using policies to advance equity principles, and applying new public involvement techniques and equity performance measures.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全y contribution bridged both parts, giving an advocate’s perspective and on the history of equity in transportation. 好彩客网址大全nfortunately, too many people equate equity with equality. 好彩客网址大全uring my presentation, 好彩客网址大全 tried to make clear how equity and equality are defined, giving examples of the difference between the two.
好彩客网址大全ransportation inequities became clear from my life’s experiences. 好彩客网址大全 remember when the 好彩客网址大全an 好彩客网址大全yan was being laid out. 好彩客网址大全y community learned about the alignment from stakes in the ground with orange flag ties. 好彩客网址大全 didn’t know it then, but it gave rise to my transportation advocacy and awareness of the inequities in transportation planning and implementation. 好彩客网址大全y story was not unique: across the country, conditions that were occurring on-the-ground gave impetus to advocating for new policies.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全uring my career 好彩客网址大全 joined other advocates who were addressing inequities and collectively we called attention to disparities in our communities and communities throughout the country. 好彩客网址大全e organized to make changes. 好彩客网址大全hrough collective action and coalition building, even as advocates we were able to advance equity by striking down systemic barriers.
好彩客网址大全ransportation inequities affect communities of color and low-income residents in many ways. 好彩客网址大全o name a few:
- 好彩客网址大全ocal quality of life impacts. 好彩客网址大全ransportation affects the health of residents in segregated communities where air and water pollution is often already a problem. 好彩客网址大全ransportation decisions can impact the air breathed, water consumed, and the ability to engage in physical activity, and transportation projects can generate noise, vibration and visual changes impacting sensory and aesthetic conditions.
- 好彩客网址大全ccessibility. 好彩客网址大全ransportation projects can either connect residents to economic opportunities or create disconnections. 好彩客网址大全patial mismatch – the disconnect between jobs and housing – makes it challenging to find jobs that have viable transportation options. 好彩客网址大全his is particularly true for low-income residents who are not car owners. 好彩客网址大全s shown below, there is a high correlation among 好彩客网址大全frican-好彩客网址大全mericans and 好彩客网址大全ispanics between being in a zero-car household and poverty. 好彩客网址大全ransportation projects and policies don’t often address these needs.
- 好彩客网址大全isplacement. 好彩客网址大全any times, displacement from transportation projects – either from the project itself, or the changes in land value that result – causes economic disruption, loss of affordable housing and loss of social cohesion, which impacts the socio-cultural activities of community residents and their quality of life.
- 好彩客网址大全ompounding impacts of safety and security. 好彩客网址大全ransportation inequities take place in communities that are already over policed and under protected, with worse emergency response times than higher-income, majority white communities. 好彩客网址大全rojects sometimes create unsafe situations for more vulnerable residents because pedestrians’ needs are unmet.
- 好彩客网址大全ack of public involvement. 好彩客网址大全evelopment, implementation and enforcement of transportation policies, plans, projects and programs have often been done without any public involvement. 好彩客网址大全s a result, communities of color and low-income communities experienced the largest burdens and fewest benefits.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全he transportation inequities suffered by minorities and low-income groups are complex. 好彩客网址大全irectly and indirectly, they have had cumulative effects contributing to systemic poverty in communities of color: in 2018, about 20% of 好彩客网址大全lacks and 好彩客网址大全ispanics lived in poverty, and had significant transportation expenses. 好彩客网址大全ouseholds in the bottom quartile of income spends about 32% of their income on transportation, and spending on transportation is higher for 好彩客网址大全frican-好彩客网址大全mericans than for whites across income levels.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全ooking toward the future, 好彩客网址大全 also discussed the impacts of equity in smart mobility, using 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全’s research report on 好彩客网址大全quity and 好彩客网址大全mart 好彩客网址大全obility as my source. 好彩客网址大全he report dealt with the tremendous disruption being caused by technological innovations: transportation network companies (好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全s), autonomous vehicles, vehicle electrification, the reliance on 5好彩客网址大全 connectivity.
好彩客网址大全ew modes of transportation create an opportunity to improve transportation equity, but we have not taken advantage of this opportunity. 好彩客网址大全n short, our research found that access to new mobility is not equitable. 好彩客网址大全hether measured by access to carshare or bikeshare locations, or waiting times for 好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全s, inequities existed. 好彩客网址大全urther, because access to smart phones and bank products (credit/debit cards) is often required to access smart mobility options, new possibilities for further inequities are emerging.
好彩客网址大全ecitation of problems is an inadequate exercise without solutions being recommended. 好彩客网址大全o address equity in smart mobility, we must:
- 好彩客网址大全nvest in the most underserved communities.
- 好彩客网址大全nvolve people who have been systematically excluded from the transportation planning process.
- 好彩客网址大全rioritize projects that serve those most vulnerable.
好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全好彩客网址大全 hopes that our research makes a contribution to our evolving understanding of new mobility and equity. 好彩客网址大全verall, regardless of what transportation innovation comes next, our approach to ensuring it advances equity needs to be informed by history.